© Frederik Buyckx, Belgium, Shortlist, 2017 ZEISS Photography Award
The 2020 ZEISS Photography Award photographers are asked to respond to the theme Seeing Beyond – Discoveries.
Throughout time the human race has been driven to make discoveries. This might be a personal revelation, a scientific and technological breakthrough or an idea that has led to social change – a new way of thinking that’s revolutionised our everyday lives. Since photography’s inception, many great individuals have seen the camera as a tool to explore and question the world, and used the power of the image to shed light on something new.
Epiphanies, inventions and transformations from the known to the unknown, we want to see something new. Submissions exploring the landscape, humans, science, political or economic changes, or even something more conceptual, are all welcome.
While all creative responses are encouraged, submissions must actively explore the topic of the brief. The series should be between five to ten images, have a clear narrative that aligns with the brief (Seeing Beyond – Discoveries) and visual consistency.
Entrants can submit all different types of photography – be that in technique or subject matter. All submissions must be accompanied by a supporting statement which outlines the story behind the work.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS: 13:00 (GMT), February 4, 2020
Winner of the ZEISS Photography Award receives:
- A range of ZEISS camera lenses of their choice worth a total of €12,000
- €3,000 to cover travel costs for a photo project
- Flights and accommodation to attend the Sony World Photography Awards night and the exhibition opening in London in April 2020
- ZEISS will also invite the winner to their headquarters in Germany to enjoy a behind-the-scenes tour of the factory and the chance to test out a variety of ZEISS lenses
- The winner will also have the chance to collaborate directly with ZEISS and the World Photography Organisation for future projects
© Nicky Newman, South Africa, Shortlist, 2017 ZEISS Photography Award